"Come on Kevin - TURN THE TIDE - Peak carbon by 2010"
We aim to build a bank of photos of anyone/everyone concerned about the direction that carbon (as in emissions
and coal production
) is heading in Australia. The images will send a powerful message, along the lines of the Step It Up
campaign in the USA. When the Prime Minister receives the Garnaut Report in September, we hope to send him the images of thousands of ordinary citizens united with the same message - peak carbon by 2010
. So paint a banner, get your group/work colleagues/sports club/neighbours behind it, take a photo and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
With World Environment Day coming up there is a fabulous opportunity to get lots of images on the board. In the coming months the campaign is intended to reach into other community groups eg. soccer clubs, church groups, work places - you name it! So if you know of anyone passionate about climate change who would be happy to get their soccer team to do one, or mother's group, or evening class - go for it.
What's it for?
The "picture bank" keeps building until the message is delivered to Kevin Rudd later in the year!
Imagine....In September, as the Garnaut Review is being considered.... an enormous banner showing countless images of thousands of Australian communities from all over the country who have stood behind this message.
How the idea came about
The "peak carbon by 2010" slogan was chosen carefully. Firstly, "peak carbon" was an invention of ours ..seems fairly self-explanatory in that carbon (emissions and coal use in energy production) must peak (plateau and begin to fall) in the next two years according to the best scientific knowledge available (i.e. James Hansen).
Climate Code Red
contains many useful references to back up our concerns about the need to "peak" carbon within the next two years so that the global temp and carbon emissions stabilise to avoid catastrophic changes to the world's ecosystems, permafrost thaw, thermolhaline changes, sea level rises, tidal surges, etc.
The term "peak" is also seeping in to people's consciousness as in "peak oil", and following a peak there is a sharp drop which is what we're (and the Hansen e.g) asking for.
The 2010 deadline also conveniently falls within Rudd's term of office. Appealing to his desire to "be a leader', we're hoping to show him that he can do something within this term...not at 2020 or 2050 which can seem rather a long way a way...and definitely outside a political term.
We feel it's a call to arms for immediate actions by our political leaders.
What needs to be done:
- Find a group of people that would be happy to stand in a photograph supporting this message.You can take the photo any time.
- Make a banner! It really isn't hard just grab some material and paint. The banner in the picture is a 5m length of material. It took 1 person less than an hour to paint the message!
- Take the photo - please limit other banners/messages to club banners only (no party political signage). The message needs to be clear.
- Send the photo to us email@example.com (Please reduce it to < 200 KB if you can) with info about your group:
* Where you are from
* What type of community you are
* estimated numbers in the photo
* date the photo as taken
* Contact person & details
5. The rest is up to us to build a bank of images and make sure that Kevin Rudd gets the message loud and clear.
If you have any queries, give Sue a call: 0418 218 844
from the "Turn The Tide" team.