Support the Climate Protection Bill
Australian communities demand legislation not procrastination
This campaign is inspired by the success of a community driven Climate Change Bill in the UK, which has achieved laws to cut greenhouse pollution and promote a clean energy future.
In 2005, communities across the UK decided they wanted their politicians to take action on climate change. They seized on a draft Climate Change Bill put together by green groups, and 130,000 people across the country contacted their MP to support it. In response, 400 MPs voted for the Bill and when passed in Parliament, the UK will become the first country to legislate binding limits on greenhouse pollution.
Now, in the lead up to Australia's 2007 federal election, community climate groups across the country have written a Climate Protection Bill.
This Bill comprehensively addresses the causes of Australia’s spiraling greenhouse gas emissions, and proposes workable solutions to stem these emissions, protecting the future for our children, the world's most vulnerable communities and our fragile planet.
The Climate Protection Bill is a powerful tool for community members. It unifies the concerns of Australians across the country, and gives each of us a set of demands to take to our politicians and candidates before the 2007 federal election.
Want to know more?
What can you do?
- Support the Climate Protection Bill by adding your name below! You can check out the list of groups and individuals already supporting here.
- For maximum impact, support this Bill as a group (community group, faith-based group, NGO, etc) and get the members and supporters of your group to all add their details.
- Get your community behind the Bill by downloading the petition here and gathering support through stalls and meetings.
- Get active and make your voice heard even louder by downloading the lobbying kit which has tips on finding, contacting and meeting your local politicians. This kit also has tips on accessing your local newspaper and other media.
- Promote the Bill online by adding the button on the right to your own web pages. Just right-click the image, save it on your computer then upload it to your own site and make it link to www.climatemovement.org.au/climateprotectionbill